Love deeply. Laugh. Cry. Talk to God. Be realistic about the to-do list. Stay in touch. Hug. Dream. Smile. Break Bread often with Family. Spend Time with your Girlfriends. Shop til you Drop! Extend Grace. Be Quick to Forgive and Slow to Anger. Walk. Breathe. Sing. Dance. Read. Eat Chocolate. Savor a Good Glass of Wine. Wiggle your Toes. Sleep well. Life is Good!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What do to with Leftover Biscuits . . .


GRANDADDY EARL'S BREAD PUDDING


6-8 leftover biscuits, crumbled into a 9x13 baking dish

Combine the following and pour over biscuits:
2c milk
2 c sugar
1 stick butter, melted
3-4 eggs, well beaten
2 t vanilla

Allow bread to soak up liquid for at least 10 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min to one hour.
Serve hot or cold.  Serve as is or with a sauce.  

I love a simple caramel sauce drizzled over the top 
(homemade or the squeeze bottle).

For a grown-up sauce, try the Whiskey Sauce recipe below! 


Whiskey Sauce (3 c)

2 sticks butter, melted
2 c sugar
1 c heavy cream
4 T whiskey (hiccup!)
1 t vanilla

Combine butter, sugar and cream in saucepan over low heat til sugar melts.
Then bring to boil over medium heat.
Simmer 5 minutes.  Add vanilla.  Cool.  Add whiskey.
Drizzle over warm bread pudding! 

~


This is a no-fail, versatile bread pudding!  It is delicious as is but lends itself to variations limited only by your imagination!  I prepared it last night and added a jar of apple pie filling I canned last fall and served it with caramel sauce.  Just remember to make allowances for any extra liquids by lessening the milk amount accordingly.  In the past I've added peaches and blueberries!  I've added raisins, pecans and cinnamon!  I've added chocolate chips!  I toss leftover biscuits into a freezer bag so when I want to make this bread pudding I always have plenty.  I've also used a loaf of home made sourdough and even {shhhhh} white sandwich bread!  If I don't have enough biscuits I'll mix  in other breads I have on hand.  You get the idea!!

Oh!  Did I mention this is an award winning recipe as written below (without the Whiskey Sauce)?  Yep!  My niece, Erin, entered the recipe in a school bake off.  The original recipe is made with Grandaddy Earl's famous biscuits, hence the name.  I wish I had that recipe!!  I remember bellying up to the table a couple of mornings to Grandaddy Earl's biscuits!  They were true 'cat head' biscuits!  {sigh}



Later this week I'll share another family fave!
Chocolate Bread Pudding w/Caramel Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment