Love deeply. Laugh. Cry. Talk to God. Be realistic about the to-do list. Stay in touch. Hug. Dream. Smile. Break Bread often with Family. Spend Time with your Girlfriends. Shop til you Drop! Extend Grace. Be Quick to Forgive and Slow to Anger. Walk. Breathe. Sing. Dance. Read. Eat Chocolate. Savor a Good Glass of Wine. Wiggle your Toes. Sleep well. Life is Good!

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cantaloupe Jam


CANTALOUPE JAM!
Yes!  I said cantaloupe!


Heck no!  I didn't pay $1.99 each for them!
They were on the slightly bruised table for $.79
Score!



My newest favorite canning book!!
Food in Jars!



If you could only smell it!
A bubbly caldron of sweet cantaloupe and vanilla beans!



Cantaloupe Jam!
Who knew?!!



I recently shared the Food in Jars recipe for Tomato Jam!  
It is awesome!!  That particular recipe is on her website! 
She did give me permission to share a recipe from the book.
This one isn't on the website!
You MUST get Marisa's Food in Jars canning recipe book!
I have more pages dog-eared in that book
than any other cookbook in my collection!!

~

Cantaloupe Jam

2.5 cups chopped, peeled cantaloupe
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
Zest of one lemon
1Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 (3oz) packet liquid pectin
~
Prepare jars, lids and rings for canning.

Combine cantaloupe, sugar and vanilla bean/pod in a
nonreactive pot.  Bring to boil over high heat and cook
for 8-10 minutes.  Add lemon zest, lemon juice and
the packet of liquid pectin.  Return to a vigorous boil.
Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until the bubbles look
thick.  Remove vanilla bean pod and discard.  Remove 
the pot from the heat and ladle the jam into the prepared
jars.  Wipe the rims, apply lids and rings, and process
in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.  Make 3 half pints!



2 comments:

  1. Yum! I've told my kids for years, everything is better in a jar!!! They think I'm nuts, but I'm winning them over! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this...so intrigued!

    ReplyDelete