Love deeply. Laugh. Cry. Talk to God. Be realistic about the to-do list. Stay in touch. Hug. Dream. Smile. Break Bread often with Family. Spend Time with your Girlfriends. Shop til you Drop! Extend Grace. Be Quick to Forgive and Slow to Anger. Walk. Breathe. Sing. Dance. Read. Eat Chocolate. Savor a Good Glass of Wine. Wiggle your Toes. Sleep well. Life is Good!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Re-Thinking the "Wouldn't Change a Thing" Thoughts


Often I have said "I wouldn't change a thing" about my past. I'd re-live every moment. Every moment of joy, pain, learning experience and lazy moments. These are, afterall, what made me who I am today and I'm fond of that woman. However, after reaching fifty this year and having experienced so much physical pain the last ten years or so ... moreso recently, I am re-visiting those thoughts.

The only thing I would do differently is take better care of myself. I'd make the time to take better care of myself. I'd use the knowledge I'd gained over the years relative to health. That said, I'm gonna try to make up for lost time.

Afterall, today is the first day of the rest of my life! Right?

I'm about to take a walk outside. The first in two years. The first since the right foot went south on me. The first since I began pain medication for my back. There is always a first. This is gonna be among many firsts to come. Today I also started an anti-inflammatory, low-carb eating style. Not gonna use the D word here!

My goals are not weight loss, per se. My goals are to minimize the medications my doctor predicts I will be taking along with the current Mobic and quarterly prednisone, not to mention his determination that neck surgery is in my near future. Anti-inflammatories are a daily companion now. Being kind to myself and resting my back and legs are paramount to enjoying life these days. Surely the anticipated side effect of weight loss will help that a little. But there's not a lot to do about herniated discs w/spinal cord involvment, nerve pain from B12 Pernicious anemia and it's fatigue, not to mention Iron Deficient anemia as well. And, of course, there is the hypothyroid and hiatal hernia and gallbladder issues that tag along.

I can't imagine eliminating sugar, processed foods, simple carbs and the other inflammatory foods (peppers, onions, potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant) aren't gonna help with some of this.

I still have a lot of life to live and a lot of love to give. I'll soon be chasing my granbaby girl as she toddles around. I'm enjoying my art business and all the friends and venues involved. I love family, my home and my garden and want to enjoy caring for all of these things without the dreaded pain.

Crossing my fingers and praying and breathing one day at a time! It's time to take a more active role in enabling my body to work at peak performance so I can continue taking life as it comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment